Visiting Phoenix - What to See and Do
(Phoenix International Airport PHX, Arizona - AZ, USA)
Phoenix is located in the US state of Arizona, on the northern portion of the Sonoran Desert, known as the Valley of the Sun. The Valley of the Sun receives more than 300 sunny days a year, making it a popular place for winter tourists, who are referred to by locals as 'snowbirds'.
Phoenix has many attractions for tourists to the city including fantastic sporting venues, excellent shopping, lively nightlife and some superb cuisine. The prehistoric ruins of Casa Grande should not be missed, while the city's many museums make for a fascinating, educational and enjoyable trip.
Ten things you must do in Phoenix
- Have fun at the Castles and Coasters amusement park, located next to the Metrocenter shopping complex. Popular features here include a roller coaster, miniature golf courses and many exciting rides.
- Take a look at more than 1,000 species of animals at the massive Phoenix Zoo. Make sure you don't miss the tropical rain forest enclosure.
- Visit the impressive St. Mary's Basilica, located in downtown Phoenix. The beautiful stained-glass windows are the main attraction of Phoenix's oldest church, built in 1881.
- Travel along the Apache Trail, a superb drive along winding roads, while taking in the amazing panoramic views of the desert and the steep drop to Fish Canyon Creek.
- Learn about the past inhabitants of the Phoenix area at the prehistoric structure of the Casa Grande. Originally created by the Hohokam people about 1,500 years ago, the ruins still feature walls made from earth, irrigation and artifacts.
- Enjoy the fun at the re-creation of a 1890s mining village at Goldfield Ghost Town. Tours of the mines, gun-fighting shows, train rides and panning for gold are some of the activities on offer here.
- Entertain and educate yourself at the Arizona Science Center. Interactive displays and exhibits covering a broad spectrum of science subjects are available here.
- Visit the biggest museum dedicated to fire fighters in the world at the Hall of Flame Fire fighting Museum. An impressive collection of fire trucks are on show, dating back as far as 1725.
- View the enjoyable and innovative art exhibits and displays at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Many different styles of art are on show here including abstract, modern and Old West images.
- Travel to the Phoenix Mountains Park and Recreation Center for unbelievable views of the Valley of the Sun. Walking trails lead you to the top of Piestewa Peak and other impressive lookout points.